Acmetonia Counselor’s Office
Elementary Guidance Counselor: Ms. Rebecca Garbisch
The Allegheny Valley School District provides counselors at the elementary and secondary level’s to provide support to students in academic, social, and emotional areas. The goals of the Elementary Guidance Program are:
- To help children understand themselves and others and their role in the school, family, neighborhood, etc. Children are taught to express themselves with words and actions that show concern for and appreciation of others.
- To prevent problems from developing through preventive counseling programs that stress early detection of learning and social adjustment problems.
- To help identify children with special needs and develop personalized programs based on child’s abilities, strengths, weaknesses, emotional, and intellectual needs.
- To follow safety and crisis management procedures during crisis intervention.
- To provide career education activities that help students become aware of their own skills and that teach them about the world of work.
- To coordinate or facilitate efforts of others (social workers, psychologists, community agency staff, etc.) with those of parents, teachers, and administrators.
The Elementary School Counselor program is an integral part of the school’s total educational program. It remains committed to individualizing the educational experience of all students. This perspective involves recognizing the uniqueness of all students, helping them to develop a realistic concept of themselves, and assisting them to become aware of educational and occupational opportunities. To this end, elementary counselors will:
- Serve as a consultant for teachers, parents, and administrators
- Assist with involvement of parents
- Assist in Kindergarten registration
- Collaborate with the junior high in the transition of students from grade 6
- Assist students during their daily school activities
The elementary school counselor works with students to help them develop academically, personally, and socially. The counselor will work closely with parents, teachers, school administrators, and other professionals to provide students with the best possible resources and services.