Allegheny Valley’s Guidance Services include, but are not limited to:
The counselor works one-on-one with students who have personal or school-related difficulties to help make school a successful experience. Students learn skills to develop appropriate behavior patterns for dealing with classroom activities and relationships.
Students are placed into groups based on needs, which are assessed through a survey completed by classroom teachers. The groups teach students skills; they are not support groups or therapy sessions.
The counselor actively participates in the Incidence Response Teams in the buildings to identify and address the immediate needs of a crisis situation. In response, the counselor meets the needs of students or staff through individual or small group counseling.
The counselor assists teachers in implementing behavior and classroom management techniques for students. Relevant materials and resources are provided to teachers. In addition, the counselor participates in Instructional Support Teams (IST) and Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings and assists in developing programs for students with special needs.
School assessments are coordinated, administered, and interpreted through the guidance office. The counselor can then interpret student information, such as test results, to help students, parents, and teachers use this information appropriately.
There are orientations at the kindergarten and grade 6 levels. Information on child development is provided for teachers and parents, and student observations are used for information gathering. In addition, the counselor is involved with kindergarten registration and screening and participates in parent-teacher conferences to exchange information and strategies.
In addition, the Elementary School Counselor provides numerous services for the school, including:
- Coordinates, with the principals, monthly theme assemblies for Acmetonia.
- Teaches classroom guidance for Pre-Kindergarten - grades 6 on a weekly basis.
- Teaches conflict resolution and peer mediation skills to students to work through peer conflicts.
- Helps to coordinate safety programs for Acmetonia through local community organizations.
- Provides career awareness for students through a Career Fair, seventh-grade scheduling, and classroom guidance using the ccSpark program.