The Allegheny Valley School District is seeking to fill an open seat on its Board of School Directors.
Who is eligible for election as a school director?
- At least eighteen (18) years of age as of the date of the November municipal election.
- Good moral character.
- Resident of the school district for at least one (1) year prior to the date of the November municipal election (or prior to appointment if appointed).
- Must have no record of conviction for any felony offense, or any misdemeanor offense involving dishonesty or other “moral turpitude”. A federal law known as the Hatch Act prohibits all federal employees and employees of state or local governments whose positions are funded entirely from federal sources from being candidates in partisan political elections for public office, including school boards.
- The Hatch Act does not prohibit holding elective office if appointed to fill a vacancy.
- Active-duty military, including reservists serving on active duty, are prohibited by federal law and Department of Defense regulations from running for or holding partisan political office.
- School directors cannot be employed by their school district during the term for which elected.
- The office of school director is designated as incompatible with most other local government elective offices; incompatible offices cannot be held simultaneously.