Allegheny Valley School District's Kindergarten Program
PA Core Standards for Kindergarten
The Pennsylvania Core Standards describe what students should know and be able to do with the English language and in math, prekindergarten through Grade 12. The standards provide the targets for instruction and student learning essential for success in all academic areas. Although the standards are not a curriculum or a prescribed series of activities, school entities will use them to develop a local school curriculum that will meet local students’ needs.
The PA Core Standards also provide parents and community members with information about what students should know and be able to do as they progress through the educational program and at graduation. With a clearly defined target provided by the standards, parents, students, educators, and community members become partners in learning. Each standard implies an end-of-year goal—with the understanding that exceeding the standard is an even more desirable end goal.
By The End Of Kindergarten In English Language Arts...
- I can name lower case letters of the alphabet.
- I can print letters of the alphabet.
- I can identify letter sounds.
- I can recognize and produce rhyming words.
- I can blend sounds to read a word.
- I can read grade-level high-frequency words without hesitation.
- With prompting and support, I can identify the main idea.
- With prompting and support, I can answer questions about key details.
- With prompting and support, I can identify characters, settings, and events.
- I can capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun.
- I recognize and use end punctuation and use proper spacing between words.
- I can spell words by using the sounds the letters make.
- I can ask and answer questions. I can share stories, familiar experiences, and interests.
By The End Of Kindergarten In Mathematics...
- I can count to 100 by ones.
- I can count to 100 by fives (to 50 in 1st semester).
- I can count to 100 by tens (to 50 in 1st semester).
- I can write the numbers 0-20 (0-10 in the 1st semester).
- I can recognize the numbers 0-20 (0-10 in the 1st semester).
- I can count objects up to 20 and print the corresponding number (to 10 in 1st semester).
- I can compare groups of objects. I can compare two written numerals.
- I can show addition using objects within 10.
- I can show subtraction using objects within 10.
- I can show what number is needed.
- I can quickly and accurately add numbers to 5.
- I can quickly and accurately subtract numbers to 5 (without manipulatives).
- I can name and describe 2-dimensional shapes.
- I can name and describe 3-dimensional shapes.
- I can sort objects and show data on a graph.
- I can describe and compare the length, weight, and capacity.
The following links will help you prepare your child for Kindergarten: